The Australian 300zx Owners Association  

Go Back   The Australian 300zx Owners Association > General > Non-Z Related

Non-Z Related All other discussions here

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
ZedEx
Dr No

QLD P plate restrictions and regulations

I'm not starting a flame war here, however I'm just after some clarification in regards to P plate restrictions in QLD.
This website says you need to have your L's for a year, which you get at minimum of age 16 (and 100 hours logged driving). Then P1 (red) for 1 year and P2 (green) for 2 years (if under age 23).

Is this a similar thing to Victoria where they bought in P1 and P2 last year meaning new P platers (here) now need to hold their P's til 22 (in total...i think)? But if you got yours before the new restrictions then you're exempt and just changed your red P's to green and continue until you've had them for 3 years (21 usually).

Genuine question and i'm not trying to be a smart arse.
ZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
chrisoman
Chriso

I'm 100% sure about QLD but I have herd around that QLD is introducing the same system as NSW which i am fully up to speed with which is:
when under 25 you can get your L's at minimum of 16 and need 100hrs of logged driving, and red P's at a minimum of 17 after a driving test which you have to hold for a minimum of 1 year then your green P's which you then have to hold for 2 years minimum which brings you to 20 years of age. (will check and see if i can find some proper documentation on QLD system) hope this helps
chrisoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
chrisoman
Chriso

This is straight from http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...Young_drivers/

"Young drivers
In July 2007 the Queensland Government introduced a new graduated licensing system to reduce fatalities on our roads, particularly among young motorists.

Young drivers aged 17?24 are twice as likely to be involved in fatal crashes than drivers aged between 25-59.

That's why the Queensland Government introduced new laws to change the licensing system for young drivers.

Changes include:

* The minimum learner age has been lowered to 16 and the learner licence period has been extended to 12 months.
* Learners under 25 years must now gain 100 hours of certified, supervised driving experience before being eligible to apply for a provisional licence.
* Mobile phone use, including hands-free, blue-tooth accessories and loud-speaker functions, has been restricted for learner and P1 provisional licence holders under 25 years.
* Mobile loud-speaker functions have been restricted for supervisors and passengers of learner and P1 provisional licence holders under 25 years, while a learner licence holder is driving.
* Motorbike learners will be required to hold a car provisional licence for 12 months before obtaining a motorbike learner licence
* A two-phased P1 and P2 provisional licence system has been introduced.
* L-plates (a black L on a yellow background) and P-plates (a red plate for P1 and green plate for P2) are now compulsory.
* Peer passenger restrictions have been introduced?P1 provisional licence holders under 25 years can only carry one passenger aged under 21 years between 11pm and 5am.
* High-powered vehicles are restricted for provisional drivers under 25.
* Drivers must pass a hazard perception test to progress from a P1 to a P2 or open licence (dependant on age).
* Restrictions, such as 'no late night driving', have been introduced for disqualified and suspended young drivers."
Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
ZedEx
Dr No

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisoman View Post
I'm 100% sure about QLD but I have herd around that QLD is introducing the same system as NSW which i am fully up to speed with which is:
when under 25 you can get your L's at minimum of 16 and need 100hrs of logged driving, and red P's at a minimum of 17 after a driving test which you have to hold for a minimum of 1 year then your green P's which you then have to hold for 2 years minimum which brings you to 20 years of age. (will check and see if i can find some proper documentation on QLD system) hope this helps
yeah that's much the same info as i found about QLD, cheers
Old 12-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
chrisoman
Chriso

This is almost exactly the same as NSW, also there is more info on this site if your need it
Hope this answered your question.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
ZedEx
Dr No

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisoman View Post
This is almost exactly the same as NSW, also there is more info on this site if your need it
Hope this answered your question.
pretty much. Plus the link i found with the ages etc. What were the old rules, does anyone know?
In vic it used to be hold L's for 2 years from age 16). Get red P's once had L's for 2 years, then get Full license after 3 years of red provisionals. Then they changed it.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
rhy_boy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedEx View Post
I'm not starting a flame war here, however I'm just after some clarification in regards to P plate restrictions in QLD.
This website says you need to have your L's for a year, which you get at minimum of age 16 (and 100 hours logged driving). Then P1 (red) for 1 year and P2 (green) for 2 years (if under age 23).

Is this a similar thing to Victoria where they bought in P1 and P2 last year meaning new P platers (here) now need to hold their P's til 22 (in total...i think)? But if you got yours before the new restrictions then you're exempt and just changed your red P's to green and continue until you've had them for 3 years (21 usually).

Genuine question and i'm not trying to be a smart arse.
If this is about me being 18 and not on P plates, that becouse I was on my L's they brought out the laws and b4 the cut of date I got my P's

I'm on my P's but im not a "P Plater" the rules and restrictions dont apply to me.

If you got in b4 hand, the rules just dont apply, you just drive your car and apart from not having as many points, your the same as someone on their opens.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
ZedEx
Dr No

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhy_boy1 View Post
If this is about me being 18 and not on P plates, that becouse I was on my L's they brought out the laws and b4 the cut of date I got my P's

I'm on my P's but im not a "P Plater" the rules and restrictions dont apply to me.

If you got in b4 hand, the rules just dont apply, you just drive your car and apart from not having as many points, your the same as someone on their opens.
ah ok. So you're on green P's then like me i guess? They just changed everyone down here who already had their P's to the 'p2' class and sent them out green ones, same end date as before. Did the old rules allow you to drive a TT (engine is rated over 200kw & it's forced induction), as i thought it was only WA that allowed that?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
rhy_boy1

Dono, Im am, and always was allowed to drive a TT or V8 or whatever i wanted, I dont have to wear P Plates becouse I'm not a P plater..

Pretty much only difference between me and Opens is that i have less points to loose.

If i had gotten my P's any later then i would apply to all these rules..

Qld Just set a cut off date, those who made it dont have to worry about anyhting, those who didnt get the rules and crap.

I like it this way
Thats why im a realy young TT driver, most kids my age have shit cars :P
Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Chrispy
Pretentious Upstart

Thanked 1,000 Times in 656 Posts
Yep, old rules meant nothing except you have 4 points for 3 years. You could drive around in a Ferrari if you had the $$, while on the handsfree kit, at 3 in the morning, with passengers.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
ZedEx
Dr No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Yep, old rules meant nothing except you have 4 points for 3 years. You could drive around in a Ferrari if you had the $$, while on the handsfree kit, at 3 in the morning, with passengers.
cos that's all i'd want to do if i had that kind of money! hehe. Fair point, much like the older (again) P plater laws here, years back
Old 12-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
yellow_300zx

Quote:
Dono, Im am, and always was allowed to drive a TT or V8 or whatever i wanted, I dont have to wear P Plates becouse I'm not a P plater..

Pretty much only difference between me and Opens is that i have less points to loose.

If i had gotten my P's any later then i would apply to all these rules..

Qld Just set a cut off date, those who made it dont have to worry about anyhting, those who didnt get the rules and crap.

I like it this way
Thats why im a realy young TT driver, most kids my age have shit cars :P
im in the same vote as you but im 19 and i got my licence just b4 the rules came in witch meens all my m8's cant drive good cars lol
yellow_300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
ZedEx
Dr No

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_300zx View Post
im in the same vote as you but im 19 and i got my licence just b4 the rules came in witch meens all my m8's cant drive good cars lol
don't you drive a non-turbo too though?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
rhy_boy1

:S what do you guys do at 3am?

Sleeping is for loosers who dont own farrari's and dont own friends..
Old 12-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
kade_744
has largest member

you are actually still a "p plater" as you are on a provisional licence.... the same as i am. but our provisional licences are awesome and dont actually stop us from doing anything except the 0%BAC thing
Old 13-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #16
rhy_boy1

Yer man, thats it.

We call us "P's" and the others "P Platers".

I think thats just our lingo, i dont think they are the actual terms :P
Old 13-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
mrkarter77
No Really, They do!!!

Quote:
Yer man, thats it.

We call us "P's" and the others "P Platers".

I think thats just our lingo, i dont think they are the actual terms :P
There is P, P1 and P2,

I have a P2, its crap, cant drive turbo, v8 etc............

must show green ps.....

All you have to do now is 100hours logged driving on l plates, then 1 year on red p plates, cant have more than 1 passenger after 11 (except direct family) etc.

do a Hazard perception test, online thing where you have to click when you see a hazard.... easy as....

then you get green p plates for 2 years...

so it could be 21 when you get off, depending on how good you are

Need hosting? www.ruzweb.net
mrkarter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Red_Turtle_Z
'Nuf said....

Geez that all sounds confusing for you young guys.... and youre on P for 3 yrs??? wow, but i gues thats giving many new drivers the experience tho to handle different types of cars, roads etc. Bet you might be glad you werent around in my day... my mum had me doing figure 8's in reverse on a spare block of land ... around a wheelie bin (at each end) in a VP station wagon.... That was only one thing they did LOL - it all came down to spacial awareness, so you got to know the limits of a big vehicle....

Dunno what they do these days but i'm sure its simpler than what my parents got me doin...
Just because I like girly drinks, occasionally dress in skirts and tight shirts at drunken Zed get togethers and used to shave my legs, that doesn't make me bi I just like a cuddle, and there is nothing wrong with that
Red_Turtle_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
rhy_boy1

My first car was an 89 Lazer, I wrapped it around a tree and my seatbelt didnt do shit, my face still smashed the windshield infront of me.

Now i got a 300ZX TwinTurbo and fastest iv gone in it is about 110 on a 100k zone (bigger rims)

So I kinda drive my big scary fast car slower and more tame than i drove my 1.5k shitbox with a thumpin sub in the back.

oh we had some great times in Lassy Lazer..

EDIT:
oh yea, a point...

Point is, if your a dickhead driver, your gonna crash something into something.
I escaped with a dirt deep gash on my arm and a ripped nostrel (youll lol if i show you the 2 dif sizes i have). And less 1.5k of car.
I, Personaly, dont think that the P plate laws change much..m just makes it easier to get in trouble..

Last edited by rhy_boy1; 14-01-2009 at 07:00 AM..
rhy_boy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #20
mrkarter77
No Really, They do!!!

Oh but thats where it gets even better....

you have to do 100 hours supervised driving, if you can get a 3 for 1 deal from a qualified driving instructor, but only for a max 10 hours, so if you do 10 hours on L with a driving instructor, its counted as 30.....

after that you do a test, for mine i had to do some maneouvres....

Uturn, 3 point turn, reverse 100m, parallel park, hill start, merge in high speed traffic (80...)

then i got a licence, 12 months, and do a HPT (Hazard test)...
and now i got green.....

i got lucky and got my l at 16.5 before the 12 and 100hours thing came out..

Need hosting? www.ruzweb.net
mrkarter77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   The Australian 300zx Owners Association > General > Non-Z Related