The Australian 300zx Owners Association  

Go Back   The Australian 300zx Owners Association > General > Z Related - Non Technical

Z Related - Non Technical Discuss all Z related non-Technical topics here - where to source products or service, cosmetic upgrades etc

Old 17-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
geron
National Petroleum Equipm

Yes Chili...

Also, I think people forget that they buy into the Z heritage. It was one of the things that I thought of and was so happy with when I first purchased mine in 2005.
I own a Z and then a Z32! and then a TT!! Faaaaa.... Hehehe

Not wearing rose coloured glasses. I know there are many very nice cars out there now such as the R35 which is very slowly growing on me and there will always be more to come in the future, but owning a classic piece of art like a well maintained Z32 is very special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILI View Post
SEE Geron! If you try to reason this out, the Zed will ALWAYS WIN!
geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #22
stumagoo

I truely believe the Z32 is the pinnacle of Nissan in the 90's yes I agree the the SKylines are awesome but the Z is something more. I feel the same about the Mk4 supra and the FD Rx7 (and to a lessor degree the NSX and Mitsi GTO but they really dont scream japanese sports pedigree to me) - I think the 90's was the hey day of Japanese GT's and sports cars, yes newer cars are faster and handle better but the (listed) cars of the 90's were well appointed performance cars, and I think they really deserve a bit of recognition and to have someone appreciated them. I would have one over a commodore or Falcon every day of the week. And I feel the same about the american cars of the era...... except the Dodge viper (oh god I would snap one of them up in a heart beat) - I would love to have the 3 in my garage it would be as near as a perfect garage I could expect to have, yes there are better cars even from the era but they are quintessential JDM performance.
Had Mexican the night before! Lunch was a double quarter pounder. I live my life a 1/4 pound at a time.
stumagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #23
CHILI
Indestructable Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post
I truely believe the Z32 is the pinnacle of Nissan in the 90's yes I agree the the SKylines are awesome but the Z is something more. I feel the same about the Mk4 supra and the FD Rx7 (and to a lessor degree the NSX and Mitsi GTO but they really dont scream japanese sports pedigree to me) - I think the 90's was the hey day of Japanese GT's and sports cars, yes newer cars are faster and handle better but the (listed) cars of the 90's were well appointed performance cars, and I think they really deserve a bit of recognition and to have someone appreciated them. I would have one over a commodore or Falcon every day of the week. And I feel the same about the american cars of the era...... except the Dodge viper (oh god I would snap one of them up in a heart beat) - I would love to have the 3 in my garage it would be as near as a perfect garage I could expect to have, yes there are better cars even from the era but they are quintessential JDM performance.
You nailed it "right on the head", STU
"
CHILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #24
noel0leon

Mate it just sounds like you're just short on time and energy and don't know what to with the car.

Maybe store it somewhere where you won't see it for a couple of months then see how you feel. If you miss it then don't sell it.

That's how I've let go of a few other hobbies that I grew out of. If it's temporarily gone and you don't miss it... you've outgrown it.

I know I won't sell mine (cause it's not running haha) but that's cause I'm still into it.
noel0leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #25
ugame
user #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post
I truely believe the Z32 is the pinnacle of Nissan in the 90's yes I agree the the SKylines are awesome but the Z is something more. I feel the same about the Mk4 supra and the FD Rx7 (and to a lessor degree the NSX and Mitsi GTO but they really dont scream Japanese sports pedigree to me) -
I with you most of the way on this, but the NSX is possibly THE most highly regarded japanese sports car of the time. borderline super-car status.

In looks and performance (handling, not just straight line speed) it pretty much makes everything else fade into insignificant wanna-be status.

There's a reason the price of the NSX remained so high for it's entire life, and it wasn't just because of the limited (in comparison) production numbers.

The GTO is an interesting one. AWD and amazing looks, with a V6 TT engine? It's epic!

It is what I would imagine a 300ZX with GTR AWD running gear would be.

And yet for some reason, it has never had a following that it, on paper, deserves.

A car that too quickly became too expensive to maintain, as servicing costs were beyond re-sale value of the car.

The time that some people see as a reason to bail.

me? I see it as a reason to jump on board

180SX 14.980 | 300ZX 14.020 | 350ZR 14.267 | 300C 5.7Hemi 14.741 | 1998 GTV TS - SOLD.
Alfa Romeo 2002 GTV 2.0 TS, 147 2.0 TS and a 74 Super Beetle that needs a new battery
ugame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #26
Chrispy
Pretentious Upstart

Thanked 1,027 Times in 682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugame View Post

With your history, you buy one now and I'll buy one in 12 months time at half the price
Old 19-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #27
ugame
user #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
With your history, you buy one now and I'll buy one in 12 months time at half the price
haha that's the OLD me

Now it's "Wooohooo! A $70K car for $3K. I'LL TAKE IT!!!"

But sure, it USED to be me. "Woohoo! I spent $47K on a Nissan...and now it's WORTHLESS" lol.

On that note, if you stalk gumtree, my old 350Z is up for sale again, at the same price I sold it for, 4 odd years ago lol. That's why it's "still" up for sale I guess.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west...ty-/1117980289

Given it's sitting with a consignment seller, my guess is the owner has finished his studies and gone "back home".

Someone may be able to negotiate a bargain armed with that information

He's ripped out the heated leather seats in favor of "brides" (personal taste I guess), upgraded the exhaust, and ditched my Rota wheels for genuine RAYS (nice upgrade, same look).

He's also replaced the roof with a red one which is horrid (just imho) so take off $2.5K for that, or $5K if you want to go back to Nissan OEM.

GT stripes removed (which I advised him to do before they reach end of life and crack and spoil the paint (so good move)) but he's left the side decals on.

180SX 14.980 | 300ZX 14.020 | 350ZR 14.267 | 300C 5.7Hemi 14.741 | 1998 GTV TS - SOLD.
Alfa Romeo 2002 GTV 2.0 TS, 147 2.0 TS and a 74 Super Beetle that needs a new battery
ugame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #28
AndyMac
Better than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ32 View Post
they only just started to increase in value (slightly).
hmmm...not when you take into account average inflation rate of 5%. So if it's not increasing by $500 a year, then it's still depreciating, but clean well maintained examples without garish mods like scissor doors and big wings will still command an ok amount of cash, I don't see that changing much.

What will give the impression of rising values is the bottom end of the market disappearing as bombs get scrapped and a larger proportion of the supply is of decent quality. So you start to see more in the 10k range and less in the sub 5k range.

To echo sentiments, if you don't need the money or the space, keep it.
Old 19-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #29
stumagoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugame View Post
I with you most of the way on this, but the NSX is possibly THE most highly regarded japanese sports car of the time. borderline super-car status.

In looks and performance (handling, not just straight line speed) it pretty much makes everything else fade into insignificant wanna-be status.

There's a reason the price of the NSX remained so high for it's entire life, and it wasn't just because of the limited (in comparison) production numbers.

The GTO is an interesting one. AWD and amazing looks, with a V6 TT engine? It's epic!

It is what I would imagine a 300ZX with GTR AWD running gear would be.

And yet for some reason, it has never had a following that it, on paper, deserves.

A car that too quickly became too expensive to maintain, as servicing costs were beyond re-sale value of the car.

For sure the NSX is borderline super car..... and thats the very reason its not in my list as quintessential JDM 90's sports/ GT cars. Its a very rare breed of the sort of car that Japan can do but choose not to. The Mitsi - its almost a big evo/gt car. the engine is transverse and its aimed at the big american GT market. its also only a 3.0 tt (driving all four wheels) and yes its fast and got all the gimmicks but its lacking something for me - but thats personal opinion - I just dont see it as a true representation of the 90s JDM scene.
Had Mexican the night before! Lunch was a double quarter pounder. I live my life a 1/4 pound at a time.
stumagoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   The Australian 300zx Owners Association > General > Z Related - Non Technical