The Australian 300zx Owners Association  

Go Back   The Australian 300zx Owners Association > General > Z MotorSport

Z MotorSport Discussions relating to Zeds and Motorsport here. All non Z related Motorsport to be posted in "Non-Z Related". This is primarily for those who race their Z in any recognised form of Motorsport.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Shane001

Prod Sports Zed - Racing at Bathurst, Easter 2017

After racing 5 years in a row at Bathurst from 2009 to 2013, I'm finally returning to the Mountain in a little under 2 weeks. I can't believe it's been 4 years since I've raced!

There is no better racetrack in Australia to make my return

We have over 3 hours of track time on the Friday and Saturday!
Friday 7:40am - 40min practice session.
Friday 11:40am - 15min Qualifying session A.
Friday 1:10pm - 15min Qualifying session B.
Friday 4:45pm - Sprint Race A - 10 laps.
Saturday 8:30am - Sprint Race B - 10 laps.
Saturday 4:10pm - 1 hour Enduro Race.

This will be the second round of the Cue Enduro Championship for Production Sportscars. We have approximately 45 sports and GT race cars entered including 3 Lamborghini's, including a current GT3 spec Huracan!, a couple of Audi R8's, a Ferrari 458 GT3, a BMW M6 GT3, an Aston Martin Vantage, lots of Porsches including current spec GT's, Lotus's, MX5's, Ginettas, a GT3 SLS Mercedes, a GT40 replica and of course my humble 300ZX! Probably around $10 million + worth of racecars! Will be an incredible grid to race with!

If anyone wants to come out for either Friday or Saturday, or both days, we'll be garaged in a marque directly behind the pit lane garages, can't miss me, be sure to drop in and say Hi. Sunday is the Production Touring 6 hour race, we'll likely head home Sunday morning. Link to ticketing is below and camping is also available inside the circuit.

Links for more info including full weekend race program and entry lists;
http://bathurst6hour.com.au/
http://bathurst6hour.com.au/event-info/race-program
http://bathurst6hour.com.au/event-info/entry-list
http://bathurst6hour.com.au/event-info/ticketing
http://bathurst6hour.com.au/event-info/campgrounds

If anyone would like to help out as pitcrew for the weekend or either day please send me a pm.
An extra pair of hands would be helpful and appreciated

Note we are all finished racing on Saturday afternoon so plenty of time for you to get back for the Nissan Nationals from Sunday morning

Lets go racing

Shane001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
260DET

Good on you for having a go in that field of big dolla runners, hope everything goes well for you. Must have a look at your build thread. I'm tempted to drive down for a look and assist, just a bit far away though, excuses excuses. To anyone else tempted and living a bit closer, don't think just do it, Bathurst has a buzz all of it's own.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Shane001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260DET View Post
To anyone else tempted and living a bit closer, don't think just do it, Bathurst has a buzz all of it's own.
100%, this is going to be a big weekend of motorsport. The event organisers are really starting to push the Prod Touring 6 hour concept, this year they have a full grid.

Other support categories include HQ's, Group N, and Heritage Touring Cars.

Prod Sports is of course the headline act
Old 06-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
260DET

Multi hour racing is getting quite popular, those who do it love it apparently. I'm a one lap wonder at best although the 20 minute runs at Challenge Bathurst went quickly with no concentration problems. I guess with the long races you get into a groove after a while, afterwards it must be a hell of a 'wow, I'm coming down' time.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
AndyMac
Better than you

Quote:
Multi hour racing is getting quite popular, those who do it love it apparently. I'm a one lap wonder at best although the 20 minute runs at Challenge Bathurst went quickly with no concentration problems. I guess with the long races you get into a groove after a while, afterwards it must be a hell of a 'wow, I'm coming down' time.
Adds a whole level of strategy and complexity. Fuel changes, tyre changes, driver changes, when to do what. ie Push hard early on scrubbed tyres and half a tank of fuel to get a benefit over green tyres and an extra 50kg of fuel to last that extra bit longer on the first run to put some laps between you and those that pitted early hoping your guys will be a smidgen quicker. Ahhh...so exciting.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
Shane001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
Adds a whole level of strategy and complexity. Fuel changes, tyre changes, driver changes, when to do what. ie Push hard early on scrubbed tyres and half a tank of fuel to get a benefit over green tyres and an extra 50kg of fuel to last that extra bit longer on the first run to put some laps between you and those that pitted early hoping your guys will be a smidgen quicker. Ahhh...so exciting.
Our category is not quite that exciting, thankfully lol.

We do have a compulsory pit stop, but only so two driver teams can do a driver change. We are not allowed to refuel. We can change tyres but most don't unless there is a problem.

We just race flat out for an hour
Old 07-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
AndyMac
Better than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Our category is not quite that exciting, thankfully lol.

We do have a compulsory pit stop, but only so two driver teams can do a driver change. We are not allowed to refuel. We can change tyres but most don't unless there is a problem.

We just race flat out for an hour
Yeah, I was talking about the introduction for the 6 hour races in pro sports.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
Shane001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
Yeah, I was talking about the introduction for the 6 hour races in pro sports.
Production Touring. Yeah they have a big grid now this year. This event has come of age now also. Going to be a big weekend of racing!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #9
Shane001

After weeks of problem after problem after problem finally I had a problem free day

Zed is all loaded ready to head off to the mountain early tomorrow

Hopefully will be a problem free weekend. Weather is looking perfect
Old 12-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
IB
?????

Quote:
After weeks of problem after problem after problem finally I had a problem free day

Zed is all loaded ready to head off to the mountain early tomorrow

Hopefully will be a problem free weekend. Weather is looking perfect
Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
260DET

Yep, good luck and have fun, there is no circuit like Bathurst
Old 14-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
Mr G

Car looks amazing, will still look great in that field. Hope you have a great weekend racing!
Old 15-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
Shane001

Well we made it and we're still racing

Day full of problems yesterday though

Car wasn't nice to drive with too much oversteer in the rear, spun it in the Chase during practice and wasn't confident over the top. Changed the rear sway bar from the 21mm down to the 16mm, fixed that problem. Handles really well now through all the corners. Still improvements to be made but I can push it now. Close to flat across the top and through the Chase.

Had a tyre issue for Qual 2, damaged bead, felt like I was driving on oblong tyres lol. So we missed out on Qual2. Luckily I went fast enough in Qual1 to qualify to race, just, with a 2:48.4.

The other big issue is the ECU rev cutting on me. It's cutting at different rpm points, 5500ish, 6000ish, sometimes 6500ish, but the worst is coming down Conrod in 5th, getting to just before the hump and it's rev cutting at 4500ish
Unless someone has a bright idea, not much I can do about it now this weekend. I'm basically changing gears when it rev cuts lol.
First upgrade after Bathurst now will be my bigger injectors and aftermarket ECU. Fix it once and for all. Ran out of time to get this done before Bathurst.

The first Race late yesterday went well, but it was really just a test session for me. Then we finished under safety car due to a big crash coming out of the Chase.

This mornings race was much better. Car feels good so getting confident pushing it across the top. Got my time down to 2:42.5. Would be well into the 2:30's if the ECU wasn't messing with me. But overall feeling good in the car.

Confident we might break into the 2:30's in the 1 hour race this afternoon
Old 15-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #14
260DET

Nice, keep it up and I hope you are taking incar video.
Old 15-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #15
IB
?????

Quote:
Well we made it and we're still racing

Day full of problems yesterday though

Car wasn't nice to drive with too much oversteer in the rear, spun it in the Chase during practice and wasn't confident over the top. Changed the rear sway bar from the 21mm down to the 16mm, fixed that problem. Handles really well now through all the corners. Still improvements to be made but I can push it now. Close to flat across the top and through the Chase.

Had a tyre issue for Qual 2, damaged bead, felt like I was driving on oblong tyres lol. So we missed out on Qual2. Luckily I went fast enough in Qual1 to qualify to race, just, with a 2:48.4.

The other big issue is the ECU rev cutting on me. It's cutting at different rpm points, 5500ish, 6000ish, sometimes 6500ish, but the worst is coming down Conrod in 5th, getting to just before the hump and it's rev cutting at 4500ish
Unless someone has a bright idea, not much I can do about it now this weekend. I'm basically changing gears when it rev cuts lol.
First upgrade after Bathurst now will be my bigger injectors and aftermarket ECU. Fix it once and for all. Ran out of time to get this done before Bathurst.

The first Race late yesterday went well, but it was really just a test session for me. Then we finished under safety car due to a big crash coming out of the Chase.

This mornings race was much better. Car feels good so getting confident pushing it across the top. Got my time down to 2:42.5. Would be well into the 2:30's if the ECU wasn't messing with me. But overall feeling good in the car.

Confident we might break into the 2:30's in the 1 hour race this afternoon
Well done Shane, survived the race meeting and well into the 2:30s today as promised
Old 15-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #16
Shane001

The 1 hour race was an absolute cracker. Great battles all up and down the field.

I was stoked to break well into the 2min 30's. Fastest lap 2:37.499

Had to absolutely ring her neck to get that though

Also third in class so got to stand on the Bathurst podium with my son Jack to get my trophy

Top speed was 231kph down Conrod. I reckon with the ecu behaving, top speed would have been 250+ and lap times down in the low 2min 30's.

ECU was rev cutting even worse, and had intermittent brake shudder to deal with as well which is pretty scary coming off Skyline, but it's handling really well, was flat across the top and through the Chase. Completely destroyed the myth that 2 seaters can't handle fast corners! And I've barely started on suspension mods.

Next will be swapping out the injectors and installing an aftermarket ECU. This will solve a lot of problems and allow a bit more boost.

Can't wait for next year. Should be pushing into the 2min 20's
Old 15-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #17
Shane001

Quote:
Nice, keep it up and I hope you are taking incar video.
Yep

Will try and get some up on youtube next week.
Old 16-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
260DET

Great news, that's brilliant n/m
Old 18-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
Shane001

Some pics from Bathurst.

Our campsite

Mountain background

My neighbours. Certainly not out of place in the looks department.

My pitcrew.

My pitcrew with trophy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   The Australian 300zx Owners Association > General > Z MotorSport